Thursday, January 4, 2007

The First

Why Blog:

It is a tall order to begin writing a blog, especially one with the purpose to explore my own ideas about modern existence through reading and research in the subjects that I find myself angered, elated, befuddled and intrigued by. Through this investigation, my ultimate goal is to clarify my ideas and theories, eventually resulting in a well defined and well developed topic for my future studies and journey towards graduate school. Graduate school is a very important next step for me, but I do not want to take it lightly or get lost before I have even begun. This blog begins this journey.

What to expect:

The beginning of this project may be some what poetic and philosophical but through practice and the support of those who participate with me in this endeavor, I am hoping to recognize what I truly believe about myself and what work I am to step forward and do.

My interest in writing, though easily mistaken even by myself, as general interest, has been intrical in my life. As such, it is important for me to hone this skill for the long term academic endeavor while also maintaining accessibility to a general audience.

As I talk to my professors, colleagues and peers about this classroom project, I find that the scope of this exercise begins to widen while my enthusiasm heightens. (I must be on to something.) Though I am not sure what to expect myself, my assignment is to keep a current blog within the context of my reading and research, and to write ultimately, for an academic audience.

In this blog, I will be discussing a range of topics based on my interests, current events, pop culture, and academic endeavors. The basic foundation of these blogs will have running themes of ethics and the media, feminism, and technology, all with a core belief that a progressive future can be obtained through thoughtful action.

By the end of the semester, I hope to have addressed the important topics in my interest and have a direction towards graduate school with a portfolio to be proud of.

2 comments:

Jane Simpson Bratton said...

Here's some pop culture for you:

http://rdu.news14.com/content/headlines/?ArID=97778&SecID=2

Me, Jane

Danielle said...

Thanks Jano!