Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Trashcans on Street Corners

When I bought my house in July of 2005, I knew the local attitudes I would come up against, in short, on the west side of Newport, no trashcans on street corners those are on the East Side, interesting enough, probably where less people are bound to litter.

I love my house and my neighborhood. I have an affordable mortgage and a house with plenty of space to grow into. My neighbors are very nice and real people, they keep an eye on things. I can't really complain about the city, they sent me a letter in January to let me know -I needed to replace my sidewalk. But, they have not paved 10th street past York (the east-west dividing line) and there are no trashcans on the street corners.

But this is not to complain, but rather it could be considered an opportunity:

What is Public Administration?


Public Administration can be broadly described as the development, implementation and study of government policy. Public Administration is linked to pursuing the public good by enhancing civil society and social justice. Though public administration has historically referred to government management, it increasingly encompasses non-governmental organizations that are not acting out of self-interest. (thank you wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_administration)

Could this be the answer to so many of my questions about what it takes to be effective in the world and in my tiny town of Newport...

NKU's Masters in Public Administration could help me know on a deeper level- how to go about action in my community.

1 comment:

Kris Yohe said...

Very cool sequence of observations and thoughts, Ms. D!

It occurs to me that, to help you determine whether Public Administration is for you, maybe find a small way--in your very limited spare time--to get involved in Newport. Maybe go to a zoning hearing, or talk back on their blog (?!), or suggest that they start a blog, or whatever. A blog for a city might even be some sort of virtual suggestion box! Or start a petition for garbage cans on the west side or consult a revitalization committee?

I can tell you that Fort Thomas has garbage cans placed where the high school kids walk at lunch. I know this because when dog walking I need to find such receptacles. And they aren't always where I need them, unless I'm between the high school and the convenient store.

Keep it up! :-)